If for any reasons the Operating System including Windows or Linux does not load on your VPS server then you can follow this guide on how you can load the VPS into the Rescue Mode and grab your files off the server before you format your VPS and install a new Operating System on it.
First of all, please confirm that the Operating System does not load by connecting to the server via VNC and Reboot the VPS from your control panel for a few times.
If you don’t know how to use VNC — Please click here
Most of the corruptions happen in Windows VPS servers so I have written this guide especially for the Windows VPS servers but it can be used for other Operating Systems as well.
Step1: First login to your Control Panel from:
Then click on ‘Services‘
Click on the target VPS server which you want to load into rescue mode. (if you have multiple VPS servers please select the right VPS)
Step2: Choose the ‘Rescue Mode‘ just like the screenshot below
Step 3: Pick a password for the Rescue mode then click on ‘Enable Rescue Mode’
Wait till the server gets booted to Rescue mode
It will show you a page like
Please wait for 2 – 5 minutes then refresh the page and you will see this message
Now the VPS is loaded into the Rescue mode. The Rescue mode is Linux based utility so you can fetch your data out of the server.
Step 4: Connect and Transfer the data
To transfer the data you have to download WinSCP software which is one of the software for transferring files between Windows and Linux Operating Systems.
A) download WinSCP from here
B) Install the software and run it. You will see the following window
1. insert your VPS IP address into ‘Host Name:’
2. ‘root’ in Username
3. The password which you have chosen when you have enabled the Rescue Mode
4. Click on ‘Login‘
5. Press keys ‘Ctrl’ + ‘T‘ to open the Terminal then click ‘OK‘ on the warning sign so a Terminal page will open.
6. Type in:
#mount -o ro /dev/vdb1 /mnt
Press ‘Enter‘ or click on ‘Execute‘
7. Now the Windows hard drive loaded into the rescue mode. It is the time to go and find your files located in the drives and transfer it to your computer
1. Click on the right pane then press ‘Ctrl + O‘ so the Open Directory windows will pop-up. Write ‘/mnt‘ like the following picture and click on ‘Ok‘
2. Excellent!! Now you can see the root page of your Windows drive. Like the following picture
Now you can go to folder/location which you have stored your files and right click on files/folder and click on download to download them into your computer.
Some of the common locations you may have stored your files:
After you have downloaded all the files/folders you were looking for then please go back to the VPS control panel and click on ‘Rescue Mode’ then click on disable and press ‘OK’
Now you can re-create the VPS by reloading to your desired Operating System. Please click here to find out how you can do that.