When it comes to select a good VPS hosting service, operating system is one of the most noticeable factors. You may wonder whether to use Linux hosting or Windows hosting. Therefore, we’ll discussed Linux VPS vs Windows VPS hosting services in this article.
Linux VPS vs Windows VPS – Which One Is Better?
Decide to establish your own website? Then, selecting an ideal VPS hosting is one of the most important matters to consider. Do you know what VPS hosting service is suitable for your purpose? Can you decide easily on your preferred OS? Do you know how to find the best Windows or Linux VPS hosting? What are the exact differences between Linux VPS vs Windows VPS? Which one fits more to your requirements? Which one fits your requirements better?
Is Linux better than Windows? What is the difference between shared and dedicated hosting? What does deluxe or economy Linux hosting with cPanel mean? Or maybe, economy Linux hosting with cPanel? Have you ever used them? If you are curious to find the answers to these questions, then we recommend you to continue reading this article.
Selecting a good VPS hosting server is a vital key point for your website. An ideal VPS server should provide you with good level of performance, the affordable cost, professional support, and high level of security. But in order to select an appropriate service, and decide between Linux hosting vs Windows hosting, let’s start with basic definitions:
What Is a VPS? – An Introduction to VPS by Routerhosting
A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a virtual machine that uses physical resources such as disk space, RAM, and CPU to imitate a real server. You can install an operating system (such as Windows or Linux) on this VM to perform your desired actions. On the other hand, when you wish to make your own website available online, its files need to be uploaded to a web server. To do so, you can rent a VPS from a hosting provider to start your website and upload its files. This is called a VPS hosting service.
VPS hosting providers usually offer you many kinds of operating systems with different distributions. You should select one of them based on your purpose and your requirements. Then, you should specify the coding language of your website in order to select between all kinds of VPS OS (such as Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.)
Note: your VPS hosting OS does not need to be the same as the OS installed on your own device.
What Are the Main Features of a VPS?
VPS hosting services have a variety of features that some of them are listed below:
- Resources: Using a VPS, you have a private space with dedicated resources.
- Stability, Reliability, and Security: The nature of a VPS provides a high degree of stability, reliability, and security in your server.
- Scalability: VPS hosting provides you with scalable systems that are preferred in a business setting. With scalability, you have the ability to handle increased workloads on the server.
- Root Access: You have the option of root access and unparalleled control over resources. This option lets you work on heavy projects or install a wide range of operating systems and managing reselling services.
- Multiple Choices of OS: you can decide on choosing whether a Linux or Windows VPS hosting fits your needs, or even other server operating systems.
- 365/24/7 Technical Support: your VPS hosting package should come with 365 service monitoring and 24/7 technical support. You can easily contact well-informed IT experts.
- Guarantee or Money-Back Policy: some VPS hosting providers have a policy for paying back your money. Routerhosting is one of these VPS hosting providers and offers a 7-day money-back guarantee for trying its VPS hosting plans.
As we mentioned before, selecting the OS is one of the most important and challenging issues. If you know all details about your project, probably you know which operating system is perfect for you. But if you are a beginner in this field, be with us until the end of this post.
There are many operating systems with their distributions and each has its own advantages. Every OS is suitable for a specific purpose. For example, if your website is coded in PHP, a Linux distribution (such as Debian or CentOS) is good for you. On the other hand, if your website is written with ASP.Net, the best option for VPS hosting will be Windows VPS. But what other differences are there between Windows hosting and Linux hosting? Let’s talk more about them.
What Is a Linux VPS?
A Linux VPS is used for a VPS running on a Linux system. This VPS is one of the most frequently used services because a usual Linux VPS server is going to be more than sufficient for a user. Being open-source, this service is more affordable and may give you better reliability than Windows VPS services.
Also, the performance of this kind of VPS is better than the other services and can provide you with more optimized settings. It is also offer you direct SSH access which is a valuable option for your web hosting environment. If you wish to utilize Linux VPS services, then you should select one of the following items:
- Linux Shared Hosting: it is one of the web hosting services where all resources will be shared. In this technology a single physical server hosts multiple sites. One of the shared plans offered by this item is deluxe Linux hosting with cPanel. This service allows you to host multiple websites, and use unlimited storage and bandwidth. Another shared hosting of Linux OS is economy Linux hosting with cPanel. In comparison of deluxe, economy service can only hosts 1 website with limited storage of 100 GB.
- Dedicated Hosting: it is a hosting solution opposed to Linux shared hosting. With a dedicated service, you get your own Linux dedicated server. All resources such as CPU, RAM, bandwidth, and data transfer will be allocated to yours.
Linux offered numerous advantages that some of them are listing bellow:
- Flexibility: this VPS is very easy to install. All tools and plugins can be installed based on user’s need. Also configuration and activation is easy and fast.
- Multi-Tenancy: the main benefit of Linux VPS is this item. Thanks to this application. Once you installed Linux hosting, you can assign various resources such as email account and web space to clients.
- Low-Cost: since Linux is an open-source technology, the prices are more affordable. You can also adjust your preferred space and bandwidth to lower the costs.
- Multi-Server: you can use it for multiple servers through virtualization and save your money and resources, too.
- No Down-backs or Down-time: using the virtualization method, the downtime and down-back will be omitted.
Likewise good features and advantages, Linux VPS has disadvantages that a few of them are listed below:
- Unable to accommodate some Windows applications and coding conversations.
- It sometimes doesn’t support running multiple operating systems simultaneously.
- It is suitable for those individuals with some technical knowledge about servers and managing them.
How to Find Best Linux VPS?
To find the best Linus VPS, you should select a VPS hosting provider that provides you with the following features:
- 365/24/7 technical support
- The best protection methods and algorithms for DDOS attacks
- Full control on your server
- Using NVMe SSD storage for experiencing the world’s best I/O performance
- 996% Dedicated resources
- Variety of payment options (such as Bitcoin, Altcoin, Credit Cards, and other currencies)
- Very cost-effective plans
- And the best feature is the Guarantee of 7-days Money-back that lets you test one of our plans and if you’re unsatisfied, we will pay your money back.
Routerhosting helps you to use the most professional Linux VPS with these features. Our plans are very cost effective and professional. You can select one of our plans that fits the most with your needs.
Linux VPS Hosting
Get yourself an economy or premium Linux VPS for hosting your website or remote desktop, at the cheapest price out there. VPS Running on Linux KVM for increased efficiency and working on powerful hardware with NVMe SSD storage for increased speed.Check Out Linux VPS Plans
What Is a Windows VPS?
As you probably know, Windows VPS hosting is a service works on Windows technologies. In fact, all virtual server set-ups that use Windows Server Management Tools are a usual candidate for using Windows Virtual Private Server. You know, Windows is the most popular operating system in the world. The current Windows OS has over 400 million users by itself.
Also, Microsoft has the wide variety of software and Windows tools used by many users all around the world, and it is one of the main gaming source for gamers. This kind of VPS service offers its own particular advantages which some of them are listing in the following features:
- A Cost-effective Solution: a Windows VPS is a highly affordable choice for many small to mid-sized businesses. With only $7.95 a month, you can use a Windows VPS plan. Also, Routerhosting provides you with the best hardware and services.
- No Shared Resource and High Level of Security: in a Windows VPS, each virtual server has its own environment. As a result, data will not be shared and the level of security will be increased. Also, Routerhosting offers you additional features such as regular remote desktop backups, and the best DDOS attack protection and firewall for increasing the security.
- Ease of Use: Windows-based servers are entirely user-friendly and come with graphical user-interface that are well-suited for beginners.
Exactly like other kinds of VPS hosting services, Windows VPS has some disadvantages that a few of them are including:
- Requires Technical Expertise
- Other Users can Affect Your Site
- Less Robust than a Dedicated Server
- You won’t find many free applications in Windows VPS Server world.
- Windows Server needs rebooting
- Windows Server does not have a good reputation in terms of server stability.
These are a few of pros and cons of Linux VPS vs Windows VPS. But do you know how to find the best Windows VPS?
How to Find the Best Windows VPS for 2021?
The best Windows VPS hosting plan is the service that provides you with the following features:
- Edit account details
- Shutdown / Boot / Reboot
- Change Hostname
- Change Root Password
- Change VNC/Console Password
- Set Reverse DNS (rDNS/PTR)
- API Access
- Set Main IP Address
- Full Root Access
- Instant Setup
- Manage Multiple VPS from One Account
- View Bandwidth Usage
- View Disk Usage
- View Memory Usage
- View Network Information
- View Graphs & Statistics
- Serial Console Access
- Mount ISO Images
- VNC Access
- RDP Access
Routerhosting can ensure you to provide these features for its Windows VPS hosting plans. Using one of our plans, helps you to choose from wide variety of VPS hosting plans. Plans are professional and affordable, so select one that fits to your requirements.
Windows 10 VPS Hosting
Get yourself an efficient Windows 10 VPS for remote desktop, at the cheapest price out there. FREE Windows 10 running on NVMe SSD storage and high-speed internet.Check Out Windows 10 VPS Plans
Now, let’s jump into comparing Windows and Linux VPS and decide which one is better for you?
Comparing Windows VPS and Linux VPS – Which One Is Better?
Finding the differences between these two VPS hosting servers may appear in following factors:
- Cost: Since Linux is open-source and Microsoft owns the license that need to pay for use it, Linux may be free of charge or more affordable than Windows VPS.
- Compatibility: Linux is best compatible with PHP, Python, Ruby, Perl, or MySQL while Windows compatibility come for some applications like C#, ASP.net, VB, MySQL, MS Access and other Microsoft Products.
- Usability: Windows is more user-friendly than Linux VPS servers. Thanks to the Graphical User Interface (GUI) and remote desktop that make everything easy.
- Performance: the Performance of Linux VPS servers is better than Widows VPS hosting because Linux uses less demand on your hardware and frequent reboot is not needed.
- Support: Linux Servers are community-driven. Thanks to open-source feature but Windows benefits from regular updates, the option of server restarting and 24/7 phone or chat support.
- Security: because of being open-source, Linux VPS users get less attention from wrongdoers but user-made errors can be probable security issue.
- Accessibility: both of them support File Transfer Protocol (FTP) but SSH is only possible with Linux servers
The following table will show this comparison in more details:
|features||Linux VPS||Windows VPS|
|Type of software||Open-source||Proprietary|
|Web server||Apache, Nginx||Microsoft IIS|
|Script Language||Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby||ASP.Net, VB script|
|Database||MySQL, Maria DB||MSSQL, Microsoft Access|
|administrative software||cPanel, Plesk, Confixx||Plesk|
|miscellaneous||Exchange, .NET-Applications, SharePoint||WordPress, Joomla etc.|
|cost||Free of charge||paid with High licensing costs,|
|hardware||Few demands on your hardware||up-to-date hardware|
|Compatibility and Application Support||Supports a large number of third party applications||Supports cooperative work|
|Security||Often security-related errors||Rarely the target of cyber criminals|
|Performance||Has better performance||–|
|support||Support-Angebot variiert je nach Distribution und Version||Long-term support for all versions|
|Ease of use||Require technical expertise||Have a GUI that makes it easy|
You can start your website on a shared or dedicated server, and then migrate it to a VPS. You may also ask yourself, which OS VPS should I purchase? Is Linux better than Windows or vice versa? That will completely depends on you and your project. So, first try to know all your project details and your requirements. Then, choosing between Linux vs Windows hosting will be easy. Routerhosting provides you with the best options both for Windows VPS hosting and Linux VPS hosting plan. It also offers you a week for testing. So, try it. It’s risk free.
What Is the Difference between Linux vs Windows Hosting?
When it comes to find the differences between Linux vs Windows hosting, we can say that Windows is a commercial operating system while Linux is an open-source and free-of-charge OS. Therefore the prices and the items like security, performance, and accessibility are very different.